Women play a critical role in today’s rapidly evolving engineering and technology-driven organizations. Companies that invest in women’s leadership maximize their potential for game-changing R&D and the development of cutting-edge products and therapies.
A program for senior executives in science, technology, and engineering organizations
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Directing Innovation transforms senior business leaders in science, technology, and engineering into global strategists and innovators who contribute more broadly to the success of their teams and organizations.
For the Organization
Directing Innovation drives powerful leadership development that transforms the women who attend, as well as their organizations. Your organization will benefit from:
- New techniques to address real issues
- Increased capacity to lead innovation
- Career-sustaining connections and networks
- Energized and inspired leadership
For the Participant
Women who attend Directing Innovation:
- Develop and execute breakthrough strategies
- Leverage persuasion and decision-making power
- Reflect on and develop future thinking for business success
- Connect with a global peer group of high-achieving women leaders
- Explore ways to enhance personal health and well-being
- Articulate a personal vision for leadership that integrates knowledge, insights, and experience
Participants dive into the real challenges that they and their companies face. Working with world-class faculty and a cohort of true peers – other powerful women leaders in science, technology, and engineering – women reflect, analyze, and act on issues from self-leadership to strategic implementation and beyond. Smith’s all-women learning model delivers breakthrough insights leading to business-building innovations.
A rigorous curriculum delivers the core competencies for C-Suite success, addressing the challenges faced by senior women leaders in science, technology, and engineering. Each session provides participants with the tools they need to succeed and thrive at higher levels in STEM organizations.
Typical Curriculum Elements
- Strategy and Innovation
– How to leverage creativity for innovative processes and outcomes
- Collaborative Decision-making
– Principles of persuasion and thought leadership to explain strategies for changing minds
- Influence Without Authority
– The leadership dynamics that determine whether or not your great ideas for change initiatives take off
- Leadership Narrative: Create and share a vision that inspires and catalyzes effective action
- Well-being for Optimal Leadership
– Maximize performance through lifestyle choices that enhance health and well-being
- Learn strategies for evaluating and implementing decisions in a VUCA environment
Additional leadership benefits for this program include:
- Daily wellness programs that model how to increase energy, well-being, and stress-resilience
- One-year membership to the Society of Women Engineers
- Post-program access to networking and learning opportunities
Why a Women-Only Classroom?
Smith’s signature all-women classroom model supports women’s natural collaborative and participatory learning style, creating an environment where women can take full advantage of their learning experience. Research shows that all-women learning environments inspire increased risk-taking and greater confidence both in and outside the classroom – especially for women working in male-dominated fields.
- Strategy and Innovation
Who Should Attend?
Directing Innovation is for senior executives in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) who have a significant impact on setting the business direction of their organizations. Participants have a proven track record of success and are poised to reach top leadership roles. Women who attend this program have experience managing cost centers, generating revenue, driving innovation, and leading global, cross-functional teams.
Sample Participant Titles
- Director of Integration & Process Excellence
- Director of Engineering
- Senior Director IT/CIO
- Global Engineering Leader
A Network for Life
Women who attend a Smith program build a network of what we refer to as true peers; other high-potential women to support them as they lead their companies in the midst of a volatile global economy. Participants learn alongside other women leaders from both their own and other companies in different industries from around the world.
Directing Innovation participants receive a one-year membership in the Society of Women Engineers (SWE) and are encouraged to join the wider SWE network.
A World-Class Faculty
Smith College Executive Education draws its world-class faculty from top institutions, businesses, and consultancies around the globe. The result is a team of educators dedicated to developing the whole leader, covering topics like strategy, innovation, confidence, negotiation, leadership behaviors, health and well-being for leaders, hands-on business simulations, and more.
Accommodations/What to Bring
- The program takes place at the JW MARRIOTT LAS VEGAS 221 N Rampart Blvd, Las Vegas, Nevada 89145 USA 1 702-869-7777
- All participants are hosted at the hotel
- Breakfast, lunch, and most dinners are provided on site with ample breaks throughout each day
What to Bring
- Business casual wear is appropriate for all sessions
- Comfortable shoes
- Layered clothing to adjust to changing temperatures both inside and outside
- Laptop and other electronic devices